Creating this simple illusion utilizes a pH indicator and a change in pH from neutral to basic which causes a clear chemical solution to instantly become a red chemical solution. This kit simulates the color of water and wine using chemically treated solutions. You should NOT drink these chemicals.
Water To Wine Kit Includes...
- 1 oz bottle phenolphthalein solution (pH indicator).
- 1 oz bottle sodium carbonate powder (alkaline chemical to change pH from neutral to basic).
Materials You Need:
- Sodium carbonate powder
- Phenolphthalein solution
- Two clean wine glasses (or other drinking glasses)
- Spoon for measuring
- Out of sight of your audience, add 1 teaspoon of sodium carbonate powder to a pitcher filled with about a pint of water.
- Mix until the solution appears clear. This will be your "plain water."
- In one of the clean wine glasses, add 1 teaspoon of the phenolphthalein solution to the bottom. This will be your "wine" glass.
Performing the Trick:
- In front of your audience, pour some of the "plain water" into the empty wine glass.
- Say some magic words.
- Fill the phenolphthalein treated "wine" glass with the "plain water."
- The solution will immediately turn red, transforming the "plain water" into "wine."
The big reveal:
WATER TO WINE!
1. Treat one glass with about a teaspoon of phenolphthalein solution.
2. Pour some of the sodium carbonate treated water into the untreated glass.
3. Pour some of the sodium carbonate treated water into the pre-treated phenolphthalein glass and the solution will immediately turn red.
4. This trick shows how just a small amount of phenolphthalein will indicate a change in pH from neutral to basic. Clear water instantly becomes red water. Pour the water down the drain when the demonstration is complete.
Note: this kit simulates the color of water and wine using chemically treated solutions. You should NOT drink these chemicals.